Southland College Prep School Closure Information Updated March 22, 2020
Southland College Prep School Closure Information Updated March 31, 2020
On March 31, 2020 Governor Pritzker announced that all public schools will be closed through April 30, 2020. The Illinois State Superintendent has outlined two singular priorities for all students statewide and Southland intends to ensure that these priorities are met for all of our students and families:
- Ensure all students’ nutritional needs are met: Southland will continue to provide breakfast and lunch meals to any student between the hours of 8am and noon Monday through Friday. Effective Monday, April 6, 2020, the following sites, in addition to Southland, will be providing meals: Arcadia School, Indiana School, Richton Square School, and Huth Middle School. Matteson School, Sauk School and Illinois School will no longer be used for meal pick-up due to their close proximity to other locations. Please practice social distancing in accordance with the Governor’s order and CDC recommendations when picking up meals.
- Ensure all students have access to remote instruction through whatever means possible: All Southland teachers and administrators continue to develop distance learning plans and coursework for all of our students and will continue to do so throughout the mandatory closing of schools. As of this date, we believe every Southland student has both a device and connectivity from home in order to facilitate instruction. If you do not have connectivity please contact the Southland office so alternative arrangements can be made to engage in distance learning. We are so grateful to all of our families and students that continue to actively participate in learning at home. Our teachers and administrators are committed to providing the best educational opportunities during these unusual times.
We have updated our Question & Answer document below for the latest information. Please take a moment to review this as it will answer most questions.
- Will Southland be making-up these days?
- The Governor announced that schools are transitioning from “Act of God Days” to “Remote Learning Days.” All these days count toward the school year, and absolutely no days need to be made up.
- Is Southland looking at changing its Spring Break Schedule?
- Southland will continue to provide education materials and learning opportunities to all students during the spring break dates.
- Will Southland be providing meals to students during this time?
- Southland has made arrangements with its food service provider, Preferred Meal Systems, to provide a “grab and go” type breakfast and lunch to all students Monday through Friday during the statewide school closure period. Students DO NOT need to qualify for the Free or Reduced price meals program to receive the meals without cost Students may go to Southland or any of the following District 162 schools: Arcadia, Indiana, Richton Square, or Huth Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. through 12:00 p.m. to pick-up the meals and take them home. Southland is not allowed to open its lunchroom facilities for the meals to be consumed on-site. Per the Governor’s order, families picking-up meals must practice social distancing when picking up meals.
- Will Southland’s offices be open or will there be any staff at the building?
- Southland offices will be open each day from 8:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. At least one administrator will also be in attendance at the building during these hours for the duration of the mandated closing.
- When will the enrollment lottery for the class of 2024 be held?
- The lottery for admittance to the 2020-2021 Freshman class has been postponed to April 8, 2020 at 7:00 p.m. Note that due to CDC recommendations against gatherings of 10 or more, the lottery will be live-streamed only this year. Southland will have an outside auditor in attendance at the lottery to insure integrity of the process and all members of the public are welcome to view the lottery via the live stream. Information will be sent via U.S. Mail to all lottery applicants regarding the process and the link for the live stream. The link will also be available on Southland’s website (www.scphs.org) prior to the lottery beginning.
- Is Southland still planning to hold IEP meetings during the closure period?
- Southland special education staff and administrators will be contacting families of students with scheduled IEP meetings to discuss various options for holding those meetings.
- What is Southland doing to prepare for the safe return of students when the Governor’s order is lifted?
- Southland has additional custodians who have been working diligently alongside existing building maintenance staff to perform a comprehensive deep clean and sanitization of the school prior to reopening. Southland has installed hand sanitizing dispensers in strategic areas throughout the school and has a good stock of disinfectant wipes for use on shared computers between uses with replacement products on order. School personnel and the school nurse will continue to monitor absences of both students and staff and instruct students on proper hygiene techniques including handwashing, not touch faces, etc.
- Will Advanced Placement (AP) Testing take place as scheduled?
- AP Testing will not occur during the originally scheduled dates in May. Instead, students will be given two dates on which to take their AP exams at home. These two dates will be announced on April 3rd by College Board. All AP teachers will be communicating with students and families as more information becomes available. For more information regarding AP Testing as well as additional free online resources please see the following link: https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/about-ap/news-changes/coronavirus-update
- Will the April 7, 2020 ACT Exam and the April 28, 2020 SAT Exams be postponed?
- Both exams have been postponed as of this time. However, students are encouraged to continue practicing their skills as the State of Illinois has indicated it is working on options to allow current high school juniors to take the SAT in the fall.
This is an unprecedented situation and we recognize that you may have more questions. Administrators will be available at Southland from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Monday through Friday to answer any other questions that you may have. As always we will update you as we learn any new information.
Dr. Blondean Y. Davis, C.E.O.